Monday, September 5, 2011

Just when you think you paid...


It's been a while, hasn't it?  Well, there hasn't been much to talk about.  So, just to throw a curveball out there, how about I review this movie, which I assume no one saw or was going to see?  That's right, when in doubt, go for the one that no one will probably watch unless someone takes a chance on it in one of the $4.99 bargain bins.  It's the debt, starring a bunch of "Hey, I think I know that guy/girl" people and Helen Mirren.  Everyone knows Helen Mirren.  She won an Oscar and all. 


You know what, though?  I actually really liked the movie.  Sure the plot twists and turns are predictable...at least if you've seen more than 10 movies in your life.  I will say that the debt I thought was going to be the subject of the movie, based on the title...was not the actually debt the movie was about.  There's actually a couple of debts in there.  It had a lot more depth to it than I thought it would. 


Acting has to be the keypoint with one of these movies and everyone delivered. I have to single out Sam Worthington, however.  There's been some doubts about his acting ability, especially based on the remake of Clash of the Titans.  I can report here that the boy actually CAN act.  I think Clash was just a mess for a lot of reasons (though I didn't hate the movie like most) and to blame Sam for it is really unfair.  


The suspense was pretty good, as well.  Mind you, like I said, I knew what would happen before it did, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I write myself and I've watched a ton of movies, so it's not like I'm a novice, here.  The movie kept me interested, it has probably the perfect monologue to sum up why the Nazi's hated the Jews (other than the standard craziness) and in the end, I was satisfied with how things worked out.  I can't possibly ask for anything more. 


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.


- Stephenstein

No comments:

Post a Comment