Monday, February 21, 2011

Into the great Unknown...


Alright, now that I have all that bile out of my system, time to review a movie I saw with a bunch of jerks! People are drawing a lot of comparisons between this and Liam Neeson's other action movie, Taken, but it's not the same. Liam in Taken was walking around, "a man with a certain set of skills", that was trying to find his daughter's kidnappers. In this one, he has no special skills...in fact, he's not even really sure who he is. He thinks he knows, but who knows?
Well, his wife for one. She's not talking, though. In fact, she's acting like she doesn't even know him...

So, I liked this film. I actually liked it more than Taken. This one had a better mystery. Not a mystery so good that I couldn't figure out the answer to the mystery (or at least have a sneaking good suspicion), but that's me. I've seen a lot of movies, so it's hard to trick me. This one though, it had a lot going for it. Liam Neeson walking around, investigating, acting all confused and pensive is good. It had a lot of good suspense. Even though there wasn't a lot going on some of the time, it was still interesting. It was like part investigation movie, part cold war thriller. If you're into that sort of movie, then it's your cup of tea. Lots of intrigue and what not.

I don't have a lot of negatives. The first fight scene was filmed poorly, quick cuts and zoom-in's, but that's a standard complaint. Strangely enough, the second fight scene was easier to watch...but it was in the dark, and the combatants weren't as skilled? That was weird. This movie also involves some leaps of faith. Either you're willing to take them, or you aren't. They weren't ridiculous leaps of faith (we're not talking Armageddon, here), but leaps nevertheless. There was one thing bugging me for half the movie, but it made sense when all was revealed. That sort of thing. It's a movie, so you either buy it or you don't.

So all in all, if you like good intrigue movies, with investigations and a "what the hell is going on?" sort of feel, then this movie is for you. There's not a lot of action, it's all suspense and finding out what's going on. If you like that, then see this movie, or buy it on DVD when released. I will be, and since I don't have Taken, that looks like a pretty good little 2-pack.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

- Stephenstein

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! For a second there, I thought you liked this movie more than "Tekken." Hoo-wee!

    ReplyDelete