Monday, April 19, 2010

The movie - I already reviewd the comic.

Kick Ass.

I liked the book, and since reading it, I have become even more attached to it. This film is not the book. People are saying its very faithful to the book, I can only assume people A – didn’t read it, or B – didn’t understand it. Just because the premise is the same and there is a lot of violence, doesn’t mean its faithful.

People saw the trailers and were like “oh look Kick Ass gets beat up and Hit Girl is cool and there is a some gore too – wow that’s faithful!” NO! The tone and execution of the book is SO VERY DIFFERENT.

The book is very dark and realistic – mostly – it’s a comic of course, but this movie turns into a Hollywood superhero movie at the half way mark after a very accurate opening half. Starting with the girl falling for the hero after he reveals himself – I knew something was wrong – cause that aint the book man!

Whatever, judging this as a superhero movie, I liked it! I liked this movie more as a superhero movie, than I liked the book as a comic book. If that makes any sense? As a comic the book is 3.5/5 – a little too dark for me. The movie compared to other hero movies is 4/5 because I liked the violence and atmosphere of the semi-realistic approach – which turns into a superhero movie in the end.

But if you loved the book, this aint it. The book made a much better point on what it would really be like if you wanted to fight crime, you’d probably get your ass kicked! The violence was to show the horrors of actually killing people and Big Daddy’s origin was much better in the book. The movie gave him a superhero origin that gives him and his daughter a reason for being – the book is totally different – I wont spoil it.

It’s hard to discuss this movie only because I truly believed the hype that said it was faithful. I had a feeling it wouldn’t be, and my buddies on this blog will tell me I was stupid for trusting the hype, but I did and for that I am bit disappointed. But looking past all that, I still really enjoyed this SUPERHERO movie – which was based on a NON-SUPERHERO comic.

The film makers are just lucky I like SUPERHERO movies, otherwise this would be rated lower.

4/5

J-Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment