Monday, October 26, 2009

Gone but not forgotten.

Gone with the Wind

The epic story of love in the old south. Epic is the key word here. This movie is 4 hours long and spans a lot of years.

For those that don’t know the story (I thought I knew, but I was seriously wrong) its about Rhett, Scarlet, Ashley, and Melanie, and their lives before, during and after the civil war with the Yankees. The south thinks they’ll win, Rhett’s not so sure, Scarlet hates the talk of the war etc.

Basically Melanie is the only character that remains lovable throughout. The others, particularly Scarlet range from hateful, to tolerable, to admirable, to likeable, to hateable again.

This is basically a long movie soap opera. If that is your bag, then buy this movie now.

The acting, sets and costumes are amazing and they really get a lot out of this story…but for me it was a minor, but not total, let down. I was expecting a bit more since this is a classic.

On it’s own, in today’s era of remakes and watered down films, this movie is great. But for the time period in which it was made, I just wanted more.

That being said, it’s a classic and well made epic soap opera. So see it if you get the chance.

And if you decide not to see it, then frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

3.5/5

J-Man

No comments:

Post a Comment