Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A real American hero.

Well we saw GI JOE. To be honest I thought this was gonna be Transformers part 2, or even worse, Transformers 2 part 2. But let me begin at the beginning.

The holy trinity of 80s toons for me was, He-Man, GI Joe and Transformers…of course Thundercats, Silver Hawks, and Bravestarr were cool too (so was Flash Gordon and Blackstar for that matter.) But these 3 were the best. So obviously any movie adaptation is anticipated.

Transformers was such a let down and GI Joe looked like it was going down the same road. But it was actually pretty enjoyable.

Actually, I really liked it! I mean the Joes were the Joes. All of the cartoon tag lines were in there and not made fun of. In TF they say “more than meets the eye” but right after they make fun of the line “I cant believe I said that.” In Joe, they just say them. “Knowing is half the battle.” “Yo Joe!” etc. Even “A real American hero" got in there and wasn’t made fun of!

That being said, I didn’t like Cobra Commander…BUT they have the chance to make him better in part 2..which doesn’t excuse his lousy look in part one, but I liked that he took control in the end.

Snake Eyes and Stormshadow stole the show and there were 4 fights between them. 2 in adult form (with costume, that we could see – unlike the Prime Megatron fight, where sam kills megatron). And they fought twice as kids (with the kids being really good fighters!!!!!!!).

So to quickly sum up:

The Good:


Baroness and her guns – gawd damn those guns were at par with the level gun in I come in Peace.

The action – as good as an 80’s action movie where the action serves a point…sure it’s as simple as – the bad guys are heading towards the Eiffel tower and we need to stop them. So lets have a kick ass chase and destroy everything in our path. Hey, works for me. The final action scene in TF serves no purpose…where were they taking the cube?

The vehicles – wow, a lot of cool gadgets and vehicles that do all sorts of things. And the gear reminded me of the cartoon.

The Bad:


Ripcord’s jokes…pretty tee n hee, but they were kept to a min, and they never interfered with an action scene. And he actually had a purpose – he was a skilled shooter and pilot.

Cobra commander’s look. Darn it, he is the face of GI Joe in my opinion and he didn’t look the part.

Overall, I really liked it. Ill buy it, ill see part 2 and I actually got pumped to watch the cartoons again.

So good job guys.

Man those guns were so wicked.

4/5 (Snake eyes is so wicked in this movie man…I want GI JOE ORIGINS: SNAKE EYES!)

--J-KraKen--[>

No comments:

Post a Comment